Friday, October 30, 2015

Life's Beauty

One element of me that I found that I enjoy the most is my artistic side.  I have hobbies such as drawing, poetry writing and piano playing.  I just started playing the piano 3 years ago and luckily I was able to catch on and stick to it.  My one joy growing up was writing poetry.  I discovered that talent when I was in 6th grade. 

One of my teachers had me and the rest of her English class write a poem about each of their closest family members.  She read mine and said that I had a talent.  I didn't think so until I kept writing for fun and other students liked it.  I entered a poetry contest 2 years later and I made it to the finals.  All I had to do was submit one more writing and the judges would grade mine against other competitors.  I wrote my poem from my heart, it was about a girl I had a crush on.  My dad read it and said no and told me to write about life and happiness.  I did but felt it wasn't pure, meaning I felt nothing when I read it.  I never heard back from the judges....I was pissed.  If I won, my prize would have been $10,000 in cash.  What teenager wouldn't have wanted that?!

MY WORDS

The words I write may mean something
From pain to love to sadness my heart will bring
I write in peace and away from society
As my words means something to me......



5 comments:

  1. I have to say I'm a little envious of you because I only recently began to explore my creative side and I would love to play the piano, draw and write poetry that well. I'm also curious did you have teachers with the other hobbies or did you teach yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I caught on to poetry on my own. With drawing, I say my talent after drawing Dragon Ball Z pictures. As for piano, I self taught myself and had no teachers

      Delete
  2. I would be so mad because that's an opportunity of a life time. I actually entered a poetry contest as a 5th grader and won along with others and got published in a book. I'm not a very creative person at all though but learned over the years I have a scientific mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dante,
    Your dad probably had what he considered good reasons for interfering with you submitting your preferred poem. Fortunately now that you are an adult you can pursue your interests as you wish.
    I think that your dad really cares about you if he takes the time to read and consider your work. As a parent I recommend that you do try to understand your dad and respect his feelings by not sharing certain pieces of works with him.
    keep on writing and creating!

    ReplyDelete