In Daodejing, it seems like Laozi and Confucius have different views on life. Confucius sees more of a peaceful and respectful approach to life lessons and experiences. Laozi has a more aggressive viewing of it. Confucius constantly preaches about life morals and its rewards how humans should know their rights from wrongs and how the man should present himself to society. He preaches about how men are the ruler of the earth and women should be reminded of their role. The reading does not describe how the woman should act. Hopefully she has a positive role. Laozi focuses more on gaining power and being a ruler. Laozi fits the dictator role as opposed to the peaceful role in Confucius.
I never thought Laozi and Confucius to be contrasting in the ways you've mentioned above. It's interesting now that you've point out how Laozi is more aggressive toward teaching life lessons and experiences compared to Confucius. Great post.
ReplyDeleteI like you pointed out the contrast between the two. I like Confucius better than Lao Tzu because he is more peaceful, and teaches more about respect. It's interesting how enamored into Asian culture they are. That's why I think their philosophy still be applied to modern times
ReplyDeleteI knew both Chinese philosophers had different views of life. However, I never thought for a second about both being each others opposites, with confucius being for peace and Laozi all for control. And like opposites, I wonder if only one of the philosophers only existed, if the other would be globally recognized as they are now.
ReplyDelete