At first thought, I saw eroticism as only something of physical sexual nature like a couple having sex or a one night stand. But after thorough discussions in class, I was wrong. I've seen so many commercials and heard so many jokes and have never thought of them as eroticism. At those times, I saw eroticism as only sexually pleasurable acts. Many humorous shows like South Park, Ridiculousness, and Tosh.O have eroticism but in a humorous manner.
Eroticism can also be writing instead of pictures. Poetry is one of the popular ways that humans express their sexual attraction to another person. Writings, in my opinion, can impact a reader more than film. A writing can be read anytime and any part can be looked over constantly with ease. As for a movie, it may take longer to find the part that aroused the viewer. A writing can be held like a treasure also.
When I first thought of eroticism, I like you, thought of it only as a physical sexual action. Now, after all the class discussions, have found that eroticism is not a physical state but more of a mental state. It is found everywhere such as Literature, films, advertisement, songs and paintings. So far I've learned that only humans can have erotic experiences and that animal just procreate.
ReplyDeleteI agree that the term erotic is different for everyone. When he first said erotic, I thought the same thing, chains and whips. It was cool to see how people have a different idea, though. to me, eroticism is everywhere but it seems they have a universal theme of sex. But it isn't always about sex. To me, it is a connection you feel with someone that can have sexual undertones but ultimately it is the feeling of being loved. Good points though :]
ReplyDeleteI knew there was a broader definition of eroticism such as it being in books, movies, advertising etc. but one of the few things that I found surprising to where eroticism could be found in was in fact humor. I never thought that humor could provoke erotic feelings to one another. Especially those times where they're on t.v. that they would due sexual acts in a way to make someone laugh. Interesting!
ReplyDeleteI think erotic desire is what we, individually, make it. Everyone is going to be different with their own erotic drug. For some it's fantasizing cheating on one's husband or holding hands with some other girl. When I first discovered eroticism when I was a young lad, I kind of knew it wasn't exactly sex itself, but something physical still. Kind of like dominatrices or flirting in the form of a smack on the butt.
ReplyDeleteI had never really heard the word eroticism before class. I didn't have a clue to what it could even mean after hearing it and comparing it to sex. I thought, crazy? I didn't do a lot of research on it, I looked up the definition and found it was greek and used the word in opinion and perspective. Desire. I think anyone and or animal can desire... desire to feel loved and the desire to have attention. When I think eroticism, I think emotional connection, when I think sex... I think physical and pleasure. And of course, psychologically speaking, emotional connection through chemicals in the body let off by orgasm.
ReplyDeleteEroticism is such a personal thing. In my opinion, there has to be an air of mystery for something to be erotic. It can't be overt. Something as simple as a smoldering glance from across a crowded room or a gentle brush against your hand. The Wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am sex that is displayed in many adult films is sexual, but not necessarily erotic. On the other hand, the slow undressing and caressing of a character in a PG-13 rated film, where sex is never shown, could be considered completely erotic.
ReplyDelete