Wednesday, September 23, 2015

College Changes

College is not an area to waste time in.  I pay out of pocket with costs that don't make sense.  College determines the outcome of my future and I go to achieve that paper work that every employer seeks.  In this day and age, a college education is required even for minimum wage job.  Entry level jobs can only be acquired with college experience as technology is a huge part of every job.  College thoroughly teaches me how to use computers which is now mandatory at every job.  College also requires time and habit changes to adapt to the work, especially if you have a job too.

Back in the spring semester,  I had to make a major change in my time management routine.  I took 5 classes during that semester.  History, English, Psychology, Anatomy & Physiology Lab and A&P Lectures.  Mon and Wed, I had class from 12:30 pm to 3:00 pm.  Tues and Thurs, I had class from 8 am to 2 pm.  What made the semester challenging was taking Anatomy and Physiology, the class was Tues and Thurs from 8 am to noon and my job.  I usually worked at 5 pm or 6 pm.  If I was unlucky, I worked at 4 pm.

Anatomy and Physiology was the class that made the semester a real challenge.  One, we had a test every week.  Two, you have to study VERY hard in it.  Three, there are questions that will make your head spin.  Four, with how technical the tests are, failing is NOT an option.  I had to find ways to study not only A&P, but the other subjects like History, that required thorough studying.  My schedule was so busy, especially with work, that I only had time to study two of the five courses.  I made sure I studied A&P everyday.  Terms such as Acetylcholine, Scaphoid, and Triquetrum are words you don't hear everyday and would want to remember for future references. 

All the hard work and schedule changes paid off.  I cut out gym time to one or two days a week to make more time for studies.  I studied as soon as I got home.  Sometimes, I brought my A&P book to work to study during slow shifts.  I never left A&P early like the other students and stayed the full time to study and ask questions.  No room for errors as I took it at G.M.C. College as a transient student, costing me $800 out of pocket.  Failure of that course meant throwing $800 away.

Though the changes were rough and tedious, it all paid off in the end.  I finished with an "A" in A&P, an "A" in Psychology, a "B" in History, and a "B" in English.  I could have gotten all A's but A&P and work really took up most of my time.  I was VERY happy with my final grade in Anatomy as it is my FAVORITE subject.  That is why Occupational Therapy Assisting is my major.  Honestly, I enjoyed the hectic schedule because it taught me how to manage my time and studies properly.  With papers due here, tests coming, quizzes next week, and projects due soon;  I learned how to better utilize my time.  I miss that semester. 

8 comments:

  1. I really admire your hard work and, honestly, more students at college need to take on your perspective! This is my first semester back in about 10 years. I am so excited to be back and working towards my degree and when I see some of my colleagues putting little effort into their work it makes me just want to shake some sense into them. I have had to cut back on my gym time and stay up a little later to finish my studies but I know in the long run, it will all pay off. Good Job and Good Luck in your studies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good post, but I can't help feeling confused. Is this for this week's blog assignment about tragedy? Are you trying to get ahead with next week's work? I don't mean to be offensive I just don't see what this has to do with the assignment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are under workshop 7 and it is not about tragedy

      Delete
  3. Nice job on powering through unfavorable circumstances. It seems that a lot of people like to give up or blame professors. Usually, however, they just can't make the decisions they need to make and can't allocate time appropriately.
    Also, what minimum wage position requires a degree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minimum wage positions don't require a degree but hiring managers prefer you to have some college experience.

      Delete
  4. In some funny way I found that your tragedy was paying all that tuition out of pocket. I don't always believe that a tragedy has to have a horrific ending to some one and sometimes you have to go though fierce challenges in order to stand back up from our tragedy. You my friend have succeeded so bravo to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't imagine paying college out of pocket but I know the cost has to be outrageous almost like an down payment on a vehicle. I really need to take A&P as well and I'm super nervous about it and I have heard how ridiculous it is as well as the studying alone can be a job. And of course like most students I have studying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot of cramming involved. I've heard that if you take it at MGSU, the teachers try to fail you and its only offered in Macon, Cochran, and I think Dublin so the drive will be a pain. If you don't want to drive, be a transient student at GMC to take it. Try your best to get FA. I know someone who took the same route as me and got FA compared to me paying 800

      Delete