Saturday, October 24, 2015

Hell

Dante views hell as not a threat to him.  He has no fear of it and is not afraid of going there.  He sees hell as a place not for everyone, even if they had an evil soul.  At the gate, not all the souls were accepted.  Hell is normally depicted as a place of suffering, but in Dante's writing, hell is just a place where you go to not see god.  Its described almost like solitary confinement where you are isolated from seeing anyone. 

There is an area in Hell where people are actually punished.  It is called the Second Circle of Hell.  To get access to the circle, you must be allowed to pass into the dark space where voices can be heard. 

5 comments:

  1. This is interesting. I've studied Dante before, and it was very interesting to see someone else's interpretation of faith, heaven and hell. I think writers like to write about these things so much because it is an abstract idea that people have a hard time understanding. Telling stories and sharing your own interpretation is a good way to wrap your head around something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hell in my opinion is easier to reach. I know Dante is a work of literature but through religion on earth it is the place every fears and is born to go to if they don't make it right. Hopefully we will never have to experience hell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is really interesting that as Dante related to his experience of traveling through Hell we learn about who he loves, who he hates and who he admires but, as you said, he doesn't seem personally afraid of Hell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that Hell can make for more interesting stories. It has more to it than Heaven does. I liked reading Dante because it was very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find Dante's concept of hell to be much more interesting than how society views Hell as. I feel as though we as humans just some Hell into one main place which is a hot, flammable, cavelike place where humans suffer and where Satan resides in. Dante goes more into depth on how this place really is that leads to our discussion in class, Hell seems more interesting than Heaven.

    ReplyDelete